The Story Behind The Date Old Fashioned
Medjool dates, not simple syrup, give this Old Fashioned riff its signature sweetness. The sweet dried fruit is used to infuse the bourbon, while Pectinex — an enzyme used to break down the pectin in fruit — creates a smooth texture. Cardamom bitters are added to complement bourbon’s autumnal baking spice notes.
- 60 mL Medjool date-infused bourbon (recipe below)
- 1 dash aromatic bitters
- 1 dash cardamom bitters
- Garnish: orange peel
- Stir everything in a chilled mixing glass over ice.
- Strain into a rocks glass over a block ice/
- Garnish with an orange peel.
Medjool Date-Infused Bourbon Ingredients
- 350 g Medjool dates
- 1000 g bourbon (100 proof)
- 0.4% Pectinex
Medjool Date-Infused Bourbon Directions
- Blend dates, Pectinex, and bourbon in a blender at high speed until smooth.
- Pass the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Transfer to a centrifuge container. Weigh the filled container and fill each of the other containers with an equal weight.
- Run the centrifuge at 4,500 rpm for 10 minutes.
- Remove the containers and carefully strain the syrup through a Superbag or a paper coffee filter.