The Story Behind The Frozen Watermelon-Ginger Margarita
Watermelon and ginger are two flavors that should be combined more often, especially when it comes to Margaritas. In this Watermelon-Ginger Margarita, the fresh watermelon provides a natural refreshing sweetness, while the ginger brings a nice, spicy balance. Both are then heightened by the inclusion of Espanita Blanco Tequila, which delivers flavors of rosemary and thyme that are the perfect pairing for the watermelon and ginger. It’s a smooth and mellow premium tequila that makes this cocktail irresistible. Whip this drink up once, and it’ll probably become your go to Margarita.
To prepare lime sugar for the rim: Zest one lime (use green part only) and combine lime zest with 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar on a plate. Juice the lime into a small bowl. Dip edges of a chilled cocktail glass in the lime juice first and then into lime sugar mixture. Set aside.
- 2 ounces Espanita Blanco Tequila
- 1 heaping cup of frozen seedless watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice
- ¾ ounce Cointreau liqueur
- ½ ounce ginger simple syrup
- Cut seedless watermelon into 1-inch cubes, arrange the watermelon cubes on a baking sheet and freeze for several hours or overnight until watermelon is frozen solid.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth but not too slushy.
- Add more ice to adjust consistency if desired.
- Transfer the drink into a prepared cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and a small sprig of mint.
Homemade Ginger Simple Syrup Ingredients
- ¾ cup of thinly sliced ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
Homemade Ginger Simple Syrup Directions
- Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to simmer over medium-low heat, stirring regularly until all sugar is dissolved.
- Continue simmering over low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
- Let the syrup cool and then strain in a bottle.
- Store in a refrigerator.
This article is sponsored by Espanita Tequila. To learn more, visit EspanitaTequila.com.